Wednesday, August 5, 2009

An Astonishing Story

90% of the non sports television I watch is in front of a cardio machine at the "Y". Last week I saw a story about girl strippers/prostitutes in New Jersey. In NJ the age of consent is 16, so 16 year olds can strip and actually charge for sex as long as it's in private (I suppose that means they aren't having it on stage somewhere).

The reporter was obviously trying to pull at the audiences emotions, and actually got personally involved in the piece. She said things such as: "Can you believe men are allowed to ogle, lust after, and even have sex with these girls? It is twisted and sick. I get nauseous thinking about those dirty old men putting their paws on these girls." She went on and on about how demeaning it was to the girls.

First of all, I was floored to hear the "L" word. I have come to believe 1/3 of the American economy is based upon men lusting for women. We don't want to mess with that.

But I also thought that if it is "twisted and sick" to do all that to 16 year olds, is it so different for 18 or 21 year old women? I'm certainly against 16 year olds becoming strippers, but as a culture do we really think we are so morally superior because we require two more years before the ogling, lusting, fondling, and sex? Could we ever get the reporter to admit that the whole sex industry is "twisted and sick", and not just when teenagers are involved?

I doubt it.

No comments: